Tablet computers are set to beat bulky desktops for the first time this year, according to research. Millions are replacing their old-fashioned computers with slimline, touchscreen gadgets.
Sales of tablets such as Apple's iPad and Google’s Nexus are about to overtake the type of computers that introduced the internet to the masses, said the International Data Corporation (IDC).The IDC said 128 million tablets were sold last year worldwide, an increase of nearly 80 per cent in 2011.The trend represents a rapid transformation in computer use, just three years after Apple introduced the iPad. And the growth in sales is forecast to continue, meaning tablets will overtake desktops in months and outsell laptops by the end of next year.
Experts said that computers are seen as a device for work, but tablets are preferred for leisure activities, such as surfing the web and watching videos. Technology researcher Martin Garner, from CCS Insight, said: “People are using the money they previously used to replace a PC to buy a tablet. In the long term, nearly every person will have their own tablet.”
The battle for domination of the mobile and tablet market has become intense in the past 18 months, with Apple’s competitors taking it on with a series of new products. Nokia and Microsoft joined forces to launch two new phones which run on the Windows operating system. Apple registered figures for the Christmas period that showed its rocket-like growth had come to a standstill.
Daily Mail, 29 March 2013
READING COMPREHENSIONI. Answer the following questions using your own words but taking into account the information in the text.
- a. Can you explain what is changing in relation to computer use? PAR 2
- b. What differences in use are there between desktops and tablets? PAR 3
II. Are the following statements true (T) or false (F)? Identify the part of the text that supports your answer by copying the exact passage on the answer sheet.
a. Desktops are slimline, touchscreen gadgets.
- TRUE: People are using the money they previously used to replace a PC to buy a tablet. In the long term, nearly every person will have their own tablet.
III. Find a synonym for each of the four words below from these six options:
overtake trend forecast device launch standstill
IV. Choose a, b, or c, in each question below. Only one choice is correct.
1. The IDC found that nearly 80%…
- a. of the computers sold last year were tablets.
- b. of the tablets are either iPad or Nexus.
- c. was the rising rate of tablets sold last year.
2. Experts state that computers are chosen to work, …
- a. and considered essential for leisure activities.
- b. to surf the web and to watch videos.
- c. and not so much for leisure activities.
3. During the Christmas period …
- a. Apple made more profits than ever before.
- b. Apple made lower profits than ever before.
- c. Apple’s sales slowed down.