It is not clear precisely why, with the whole galaxy at their disposal, extra-terrestrials should wish to visit Hereford. But if local reports are to be believed, the town and surrounding countryside have lately become a magnet for alien visitors. Over the past few months there have been a series of sightings of UFOs in the area, and witnesses’ reports coincide on the appearance of the flying saucers. “It was a big ball of very bright light,” said one woman; “I thought I could see figures with big ears inside it, but to be honest it was moving so fast I couldn’t be sure.”
People have been seeing strange objects in the sky around Hereford for almost two decades now, but never as many as now. “We’re getting three or four sightings a week at the moment,” said one local UFO enthusiast. “I’ve never known anything like it.”
Nobody knows why aliens should be interested in Hereford, although one local butcher has a theory. “It’s our pies,” he explained. “They have the sort of delicate crust and meat filling you just don’t get anywhere else in the universe.”
I. READING COMPREHENSION
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1) Is Hereford a new destination for UFOs? Why?
2) Is the butcher’s theory believable? Why?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT.
3) People in Hereford have been seeing many UFOs in the last few months.
- TRUE, “over the past few months…” line 3; “never as many as now…we’re getting 3 or 4 sightings at the moment”, line 8.
4) Witnesses do not agree on what they saw.
5) One witness saw figures inside the UFO.
6) According to the butcher, the aliens come to Hereford to eat meat pies.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
7) Find in the text one opposite of DISAGREE (verb) and one synonym of SOFT (adjective).
8) Give one noun with the same root as BRIGHT (adjective) and one noun with the same root as
9) Turn the following sentences into reported speech.
The UFO enthusiast explained: “I’ve never known anything like it.”
The butcher exclaimed: “You can’t get these pies anywhere else in the universe!”
10) Fill in the gap with a correct preposition.
- The Martians climbed INTO the UFO, closed the door, and flew away.
11) Give a question for the underlined words.
People have been seeing strange objects in the sky for centuries.